Saturday, May 31, 2014

Walking my feet off...

May 19, 2014

woooooooww. literally union city. my dream. where "dreams do come true" because you feel like you have literally been walking FOR A WHOLE WEEK IN DISNEY! boy do my feet hurt. HOLY COW! soooo union city. Sketchy.. especially because I'm white.. tall with blond hair. It is strictly Hispanics. signs are in Spanish.. this library that i am at.. that doesn't workk.. like I've restarted the computer 10 times and the cursor wont work so I'm working from pushing the "tab" button.. I'm mad haha anyways the libraries only have books in Spanish.. it is literally crazy! 

Driving area to walking area.. CULTURE SHOCK. it is straight up loco. You talk to SO many people a day. Shake so many dirty hands, and kiss EVERY ONES cheeks. people i will never see again.. nor know where their cheek has been but that is A OKAY! The Lord is funny. I hated contacting before.. like hated it. NOW because I'm forced to i LOVE IT! seriously we contact so much. I am just dead tired at the end of the day because 1. i have been walking everywhere and 2. we are talking to EVERY human we see. whether it be hola, a 20 minute shindig, or a whole lesson. But that's good because my Spanish is increasing due to demand of speaking it. haha I live on 45th st. and the church is on 25th.. so yeah you can imagine just walking to church and back is a trip haha we usually go there like every other day. and church starts at 10 on Sundays but we have a meeting at 8.. so we have to leave at 7:20ish.. 

Now to the ward. Yes a ward. Oh my gosh literally everyone wants to serve here.. why? Because the ward is so proactive about missionary work. We have a team up a day! its crazy sometimes all we do is contact with them! They don't even have any English wards in union city.Just one ward and it is only Spanish. I miss my Mexicans. Everyone here is from literally EVERYWHERE! the majority.. well there isn't its so mixed but the fewer population would be those from Mexico, which makes me sad because I'm obsessed with Mexico. Church was perfect yesterday. This ward is HILARIOUS! They all think i look like "Carmen diaz" as they would say.. but is cameron diaz hahah they get a laugh out of it! They always go where is the hermana from las Vegas. They joke is always "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.. except hermana jorgensen." hahah that's not even funny but to them they die! 

I have a lot to learn, and I'm nervous because this is sister Cole's 4th transfer here so I'm probably going to be running it in 5 weeks.. which is a while. but working this grid is a little tougher than it sounds! Its generally safe.. obviously we stay away from weird people.. or try to.. cause usually they come up to us. Literally its probably 5 every 30 minutes that someone hits on us.. its really uncomfortable and makes me super sad. BUT I pray to Heavenly Father every night that these people might see me as a representative of Christ rather than some white girl that can speak Spanish.. sometimes its scary.

Last night in the middle of the night our door bell rings.. my companion wakes me up at like 12:15 and goes someone is at the door. Lets go get it.. i was like WHAT? She starts walking down the stairs and i just had this weird dark feeling of being scared and told her no don't get it. she kind of got mad at me, but we looked out the window and there was this guy probably in his 40's drunk with a bottle of vodka standing at our door... she thinks he needed help... street smarts... sometimes its scary what she decides hahah but i just said a prayer and asked for safety and peace.. cause I'm not going to lie I was scared. All was okay and I fell asleep! 

 Walking days in the rain. Dad that rain storm that hit NYC.. hit UC
and yes we as missionaries that don't have cars have to preach and walk in it. SOAKED. my shoes.. just drenched skirt hair dress.. everything. i would have to say it is miserable preaching in rain because no one wants to stop and listen. SO with that being said prayer that it doesn't rain here :) 

Spiritual stuff. Sister Cole and I teach well together.. well we try to. Oh I feel like you don't even know sister Cole.
She is 20 from Idaho, has never left home, super musically talented, has a good heart,  has so much to teach me. She has been here for 5 months.. and still doesn't really know her way around so i feel like sometimes i am trying to lead us. its a trip to say the least haha i just laugh at the things that frustrate me, and try to think of them positively. We have been praying pretty hard to find those to teach! Something that I learned this week. Prayer. Wow prayer literally becomes your favorite thing to do when you are having a hard time. Literally my Heavenly Father is probably just overwhelmed that I keep talking to him because literally I pray so much. I have been focusing my prayers on.. comfort first off but the second thing is, listening to the spirit. I am trying so hard to be able to follow the spirit better because there are people every where and i want to be lead to those that are prepared. WOW. 
things to pray for:
it wont rain.
the spirit will guide me.
i might find comfort or love from my companion.
my Spanish.
and that people don't hit on me. really it is hard.

i love you all. thank you for your support.
hermana jorgensen



No comments:

Post a Comment